The Dragon Con Costuming Track and contributing organizers are proud to present our second Body Art Challenge! In this event, up to 10 experienced body paint artists will test their skills in an “against the clock challenge”!
These skillful artists will have 120 minutes to create an original design for our audience and panel of esteemed judges. At the end, one artist will be awarded the Grand Prize!
One deserving artist will have the title of Dragon Con Body Art Challenge Champion! Are you confident in your skills as an artist? Enter today!!! (Competition slots are limited)!!!!!!
Here is a list of foreseeable questions about this event.
Sunday, 10:00PM @ the Hilton Crystal Ballroom.
Dragon Con has not yet finalized an emcee for this event. We will announce him/her here and on Facebook when we have details.
Dragon Con has not yet finalized the judges
Simply go to our online registration form at the bottom of this page and answer a few questions. We will contact you if your registration is accepted.
Please email 5 of your best pics to us (email address will be provided upon completion of the registration form.) Pics are required for registration approval. They will also be used during the show in a visual presentation when you are introduced to the audience.
Yes. We will not have on-site registration for this Contest. If you would like to show off your body painting skills please go to the bottom of this page and register.
Yes. This contest is limited to a max of 10 contestants. Consider your pre-registration as your audition. We will select the top 10 entries among the pre-registrations to compete at the convention.
Yes, bring your own makeup and tools. If you plan to use any paints or materials that are non-water soluble please bring anything you need to protect the hotels property. We will supply tarps for the floor.
Yes, bring your own model. None will be provided. Your model must be over 18, have a valid photo ID and their own Dragon Con membership. Dragon Con reserves the right to check for photo ID at any point during the course of the event.
Dragon Con does not control the selection of models. Each contestant is responsible for making arrangements for their own model. However, we will gladly pass your contact information along to the show organizers to distribute to potential contestants if you wish. Please email us with a valid phone # and email address at: email@example.com
Our event handlers will notify you no later than 2-3 weeks prior to the convention.
When approved to be a contestant, you will provided with this year’s themes so you may plan accordingly.
It is extremely important that you arrive 30 minutes prior to contest start. We cannot give you extra time at the end of the challenge to make up for the late arrival. If you have an emergency and must withdraw from the competition, please notify a Costuming Track volunteer as soon as possible.
The online registration form at the bottom of this page allows you to tell us what you want us to say about you and your makeup experience. Please provide us with a brief "resume" that gives the audience a clear idea of any previous makeup experience you may have. Introductions that are too short/long will be returned for editing.
You are not required to use an airbrush.
Yes. We request power strips from the venue but you may want to bring your own extension cord and power strip just in case.
No. All models must wear flesh colored bikini and female models must wear nipple covers. It is your responsibility to make sure that your model is covered at least to the minimal standards as set forth by the state of Georgia. Otherwise you will be disqualified and asked to leave. Con directors will be on hand to make sure your model is properly covered prior to entry. If they are not, you will be allowed one opportunity to correct the situation prior to contest start time.
No. Your finished character will be judged strictly on the body painting alone.
Here are additional conditions to consider:
- Contestants must do ALL of the makeup application in front of the audience and within the allotted time.
- Prosthetic appliances are not permitted.
- Contestants cannot injure or damage a model. This includes (but is not limited to) cutting or altering their hair, applying materials to the hair that are difficult to remove, making alterations to their clothing (see rules for nudity above), using techniques that can be interpreted as stabbing or applying extreme pressure to the face or head, etc.
- The winner is determined by a juried panel of industry professionals. Yes, there is a prize given away to the best makeup interpretation. However, please do not lose sight of the fact that this is primarily for fun. Everyone in the room will greatly appreciate the effort you put into your makeup regardless.
- If you need to borrow a product or tool from another contestant: please ask, do not take. Be respectful if the answer is ‘no.’ If something is loaned to you, please return it the way you found it.
- You are responsible for cleaning up your work station after the winner is announced. To expedite recovery, dedicated volunteers will be available to assist you; however they are there to help you, not do it for you.
- After the contest, time is given for audience members to view the models more closely. Though not required, we encourage contestants to join their models and answer any one-on-one questions that may arise. Excellent opportunities have been presented to previous years contestants during this part of the event.
- This year’s winner will not be permitted to return as a contestant next year. However, they can return in two years. Rather you will be recognized during the show with a standing honorable mention or the winner will be invited to participate as a judge . (In other words, the 2019 winner can’t enter again in 2020, but they can in 2021. Still, we would love it if you could join us in 2020 so we can give you some kudos.)
back to top
Contestant Disclaimer and Registration Form
By submitting the registration form below, you are acknowledging that you have read the above FAQs and agree to abide by any rules and stipulations outlined therein. Dragon Con reserves the right to make changes and substitutions including, but not limited to: time, location, awards, emcees, judges, etc. Upon completion of the below form, you agree to email copies of photos that clearly demonstrate the level and quality of previous makeup works to the email address that will be provided upon completion of the registration form.
Deadline for entry is August 24, 2019.
back to top