The official Dragon Con charity for 2019 is the Atlanta Affiliate of the American Heart Association. This year’s charity selection is a very personal one, done in honor of former Comics Director Thom Trainor, who lost his battle with heart disease in July 2018. Dragon Con will again match dollar for dollar, up to $100,000, any money raised for this charity at the 2019 convention.
To raise the most funds possible for our designated charity each year, Dragon Con holds several charity events throughout the show, including the main charity auctions on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. The Art & Books auction runs from 11:30 AM–2:00 PM on Saturday, and the Main Charity Auction is 10:00 AM–2:00 PM on Sunday, both in Hyatt Hanover C–E.
The Charity Events Booth in the Marriott Marquis Level Registration Booth (one floor below the hotel registration desk) is open from 10:00 AM–7:00 PM Friday and Saturday. The booth will display items that have been donated and is available to accept additional donated items.
If you’d like to help, all submissions for the main auctions are welcome. Items sold at past charity auctions have included books, comic books, artwork, signed photos, movie props, prop replicas, toys, games, costumes, DVD players, computers, TVs, store and restaurant gift cards, weekend getaways at hotels, site visits to the set of a television series, a meal with an actor or writer, a writing review by an editor, inclusion (Tuckerization) in an upcoming book, and much more. If you need help with your donation, come by the booth and a staff member will go with you to pick up the item. Without donations from people just like you, Dragon Con would not have been able to raise over $115,000 last year for Literacy Action!
Other planned charity events:
- The Military Sci-Fi Media Track will hold the 12th Annual Don S. Davis Memorial Charity Auction 4:00 PM–6:30 PM on Sunday in Hyatt Hanover C–E. The track also hosts MSFM Charity Games & Crafts, a kid-friendly event, 8:30–9:30 PM Saturday, and MSFM Charity Team Trivia Night, 10:00-11:00 PM Saturday, both in Westin Chastain DE.
- The Ultimate Geek Trivia for Charity contest will be held 8:00 PM–9:30 PM Friday in Hyatt Regency VI–VII. And then round two: Late-Night Ultimate Geek Trivia for Charity, hosted by Lt. Moxie Magnus, Friday 10:00 PM–12:30 PM, also in Hyatt Regency VI–VII.
- The Classic Sci-Fi Charity Theater showing for this year is Mac & Me, Friday at 8:30–11:00 PM in Marriott M103–105. For this event, you have to donate to get OUT.
- Coloring for Charity, Friday at 8:30 PM–12:30 AM in Hyatt Regency V, offers each coloring book or coloring page for a suggested charity donation. A late-night version will be offered at 11:30 PM Saturday in Hyatt Embassy EF.
- The Star Wars Game Night will be collecting charity donations, so join in Friday 10:00-11:00 in Marriott A706.
- Donations will be collected during the 3rd Annual Can’t Stop the Signal Dance, Friday 10:00PM–2:00AM in the Westin Peachtree Ballroom.
Most fan tracks will also be accepting charity donations in the track room and holding other special events to raise even more cash for the cause, so be sure to check with your favorite fandoms for even more opportunities!