As many as 5.3 million Americans are living with Alzheimer’s disease, which destroys brain cells—causing problems with memory, thinking, and behavior severe enough to affect work, lifelong hobbies, and social life. Alzheimer’s is a progressive disease, and it is fatal. The most common form of dementia, accounting for 50 to 70% of dementia cases, it is currently the sixth-leading cause of death in the United States.
There is no cure yet, but treatments for symptoms, combined with the right services and support, can make life better for the millions of Americans living with Alzheimer’s. The worldwide effort to find better ways to treat the disease, delay its onset, and prevent it from developing is underway and accelerating.
This year, Dragon*Con joins the fight against Alzheimer’s disease. Proceeds from the 2009 Dragon*Con Charity Auction will go to the Georgia Chapter of the American Alzheimer’s Association. Help Dragon*Con raise money for this worthwhile cause.
Some of the items that will be auctioned off include:
- A unique, one-of-a-kind, handmade celebrity quilt. (Lasts year’s quilt had the autograph of over 40 guests and sold for $700!)
- Signed books from Neil Gaiman and Kevin J. Anderson and Rebecca Moesta.
- An autographed copy of Kevin J. Anderson‘s new book, Paul of Dune.
- Autographed pictures from current and past Dragon*Con guests.
- An autographed hardback copy of Brisingr by Christopher Paolini.
- Over 50 of the Playmate Star Trek: The Next Generation action figures and other assorted Star Trek memorabilia.
- The Limited Edition Star Wars action figure set, “The Lucas Family,” never released to the general public. Eagle-eyed fans watching Revenge of the Sith may have noticed George Lucas’s first-ever Star Wars cameo as the blue-faced Baron Papanoida waiting outside the Coruscant Opera House. What some folks may not have realized, however, is that the entire Lucas enclave—Katie, Amanda, and Jett Lucas—also made brief appearances in the movie, immortalized now for the first time as Hasbro action figures! In the set are:
- Baron Papanoida (George Lucas);
- Chi Eekway (Katie Lucas);
- Terr Taneel (Amanda Lucas); and
- Zett Jukassa (Jett Lucas).
Let’s make this year’s charity auction a success! Sun 11AM, Regency V (Hyatt).