Yes, we do, and more of it than ever. Fearless Filk Director and veteran Celtic musician, Robby Hilliard, is at the helm of the Dragon*Con Filk Track for his third year. He and his feisty filk crew have a track packed with old friends and new guests, workshops, a Filk & Cookies meetup, and fan performer showcases. Don’t fret! Open filking will be available day and night throughout Dragon*Con, in our dedicated new track room, Baker (Hyatt).
- Filk Legend Leslie Fish—Filk Hall of Fame inductee, Pegasus award winner, accomplished musician, and infamous filker—is coming to Dragon*Con! From the rollicking Banned from Argo, to Hope Eyrie, and everything in between, Leslie Fish has filked, folked, and fingerpicked her way through fandom and beyond. Leslie performs Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and hosts a workshop on the History of Filk on Sunday afternoon in Baker (Hyatt).
- Filk’s Frickin’ Fairy Smasher Tom Smith is best described by himself: “Weird Al with more books; Jonathan Coulton with more jokes; George Carlin with more Cthulhu.” Filk Hall of Fame inductee Tom Smith’s irreverent brand of literate humor, coupled with a self-deprecating troubadour delivery, make Tom a fan favorite. Tom performs on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday in Baker (Hyatt).
- The Filk Track introduces Two-Fers this year, a concept gleefully gleeped from other filk conventions and twisted to suit! Fan performer sign up starts on Friday and continues until 1PM on Saturday. Pick your two favorite filks and share them with the audience Saturday afternoon beginning at 2:30PM. Keep it clean, please (PG or G) and either a cappella or instrument accompanied. If enough people sign up, we’ll continue with Two-Fers Part II on Sunday!
- Godfather of Celtic music Marc Gunn—good friend, deserved fan darling, speed metal authoharpist, and newlywed—returns to Dragon*Con, bringing his ribald and rollicking Celtic rooted music with him. After a decade as one half of the renowned Celtic Renaissance duo, the Brobdingnagian Bards, Marc has moved on with his solo career. He will perform solo on Saturday and Sunday, and help us create an Instafilk on Sunday afternoon.
- Don’t miss the one-time Brobdingnagian Bards reunion show on Friday night at 7PM in the Hyatt International North Ballroom!
- Talented and versatile troubadour troubadour Andrew McKee, unfairly labeled as the “sensible one” in his former life with the Brobdingnagian Bards, is coming to the Filk Track to beard the Dragon*Con! Paired with Bodhran maven Michelle Hedden, Andrew’s new duo, Flynn’s Folly, will perform their cheeky Fables of Grand Uncle Flynn on Friday and Sunday. Andrew will also host a workshop on Writing and Performing Music on Saturday afternoon.
- Pandora Celtica, an a capella dark Celtic ensemble, returns to deliver delight and dread in double measure with multilayered musical harmonies, tribal thrums, and tales of tricks and tribulations. Follow their dark faerie lights through the filky forest to the Friday night performance in the Filk Track room!