Proceeds from this year’s Dragon Con charity auction and charity events will benefit our 2014 charity, the Atlanta Community Food Bank (ACFB). Dragon Con will again be matching funds raised at the show, up to $50,000, with the hope of being able to send over $100,000 to the ACFB.
As the need has continued to grow, the ACFB has been able to respond, thanks to an involved and caring community, distributing an overall total of more than 45 million pounds of food and grocery products in Fiscal Year 2012-13–compared to nearly 37 million pounds in the prior year. Over the past four years, ACFB’s distribution has increased by 85%.
More about the ACFB:
- In 2013, the ACFB distributed $9.21 worth of grocery products back into the community for every $1.00 donated.
- 94 cents of every dollar donated to the ACFB, including the value of all donated food, goes directly to services in the community to help fight hunger.
- The ACFB is one of more than 200 food banks that are members of Feeding America, the nation’s largest domestic hunger-relief organizations.
- In fiscal year 2012-2013, volunteers served 106,418 hours in support of the ACFB mission.
Facts about hunger in Georgia:
- 20% of the people living in Georgia are food insecure, meaning that they don’t always know where they will find their next meal.
- 28.8% of Georgia children live in food insecure households.
- 27.2% of Georgia’s children live in poverty.
- 19.2% of Georgians are living in poverty.
- From 2000 to 2010, the number of poor individuals in the Atlanta metro suburbs more than doubled, growing by 122%.
Help us continue the Dragon Con tradition of charity work! (Director: (Jennifer Breland) charityevents (at) dragoncon (dot) org)